Monday, March 23, 2015

John Horan, Irishman II

In this second part of his letter, John H. Horan (1850-1932) briefly describes his father's life:

About 1840, John Horan came to Houston, then an embryo city on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou and had a store for two or three years. He then moved to Placid Creek in Bastrop County, and ran a store for several years. 

In 1846 he married the beautiful Kate Cassidy (Ed. Note:  Catherine Agnes Cassidy, b. 1828) and moved to Austin, Texas until his death in Nov. 1869.

In 1870 after my fathers death I received a letter from his brother, then living in Oakland, Calif. He had just discovered the whereabouts of his brother John. I answered the letter telling him my father had just died. I never heard from him again.

Signed; John Horan #2


Source:  Mary Lou Fear and Al Yeager

No comments:

Post a Comment